Help us secure the Museum’s future for generations to come
We’re committed to doing all we can to tell the stories of the people of Cambridge and the surrounding area that might otherwise be forgotten.
We’re privileged to have such a wonderful collection of historical objects – from the extraordinary to the every day – and we want to make this available to as many people as possible.
But we need your help.
As an independent charity we rely on admissions and donations to allow us to survive, flourish and provide a Museum that meets the needs of the people of Cambridge and the surrounding areas – and a Museum they can feel proud of.
We have identified some key fundraising priorities:
Doing more with our collections
• It’s vital that we take good care of the items in our collection, and we know that many objects are in unsuitable storage and many more need of urgent attention. But our records are incomplete and we have details on file for only around half our collection. Acting now to rationalise, catalogue and conserve our collections will ensure we can make best use of them and keep them safe for future generations.
• Digitisation: we want to make more of our collection available online, along with additional content including videos and blogs.
Looking after our building
• Accessibility: we can do more with what we have, reflecting the advances in museum practice that have happened since we were set up in 1936, to ensure that all our visitors have the best possible experience. We want the Museum to be accessible for all, but this will require investment.
Outreach work with local schools and community groups
• The Museum of Cambridge should be available to all the people of Cambridge, regardless of their background or means. Our outreach work is essential in realising this and ensuring that the Museum tells the stories of all the communities in Cambridge and the surrounding area.
• Additional funding would transform what we are able to do with local schools and community groups, benefitting children, the elderly and other under-served groups. Your support today would allow us to launch new school holiday activities for families in deprived areas.
• The Museum currently has no core funding in place to mount temporary exhibitions, yet these are a vital part of what any museum offers. A changing cycle of exhibitions will not only allow us to tell more stories of everyday Cambridge life, but also help attract more visitors, aiding the Museum’s long-term sustainability.
• Additional funding for curatorial staff will help us bring out the best in our collections and
ensure we can show our collections in the best possible ways, with exciting, accessible
Acting now will ensure the future sustainability of the Museum. With your help, we don’t just want to keep the doors open: we want to transform the way we operate and what we offer to visitors and the people of Cambridge.
Read more about our fundraising priorities in our Case for Support.
You can support the Museum in a way that works for you – whatever you’re able to contribute will make a difference.
• You can quickly and easily make a one-off donation or set up a regular donation via our website.
• Why not become a Friend of the Museum? Our Friends have always played a crucial role in supporting the Museum. Friends enjoy entry to the Museum free of charge and special Friends’ events at the Museum. Pick up a Friends leaflet today, or sign up online via our website. If you know someone you think would enjoy being a Friend of the Museum, why not buy them membership of the Friends as a gift?
• You might consider leaving the Museum a gift in your will. If you’d like to know more,
have a look at our legacy brochure or feel free to ask us for further information.
• Do you work for a firm that supports local charities like us? Please consider introducing us
to your firm’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) lead – we offer a flexible corporate partnership scheme for businesses at a competitive rate – there’s more information in our corporate partnership brochure. We are also open to offers of exhibition and programme sponsorship.