- This event has passed.
Discovering Cambridge with Honor Ridout
28 February, 11:45 am - 1:15 pm
Explore the past and present of Cambridge
Join us for six weekly sessions to discover the past and present of Cambridge, while walking the streets of our eclectic city.
Each two-hour session, led by Honor Ridout, will include a rich mosaic of stories about the events, people and buildings that have shaped the place in which we live. Honor is a local historian and has led courses on Cambridge history for over 20 years.
- Week 1: a talk in the Museum of Cambridge, to set the scene and explore the history that we see in the coming weeks;
- Week 2: meet at the Museum of Cambridge, then off to explore Castle Hill, concentrating on the Romans, the Normans and the Victorians;
- Week 3 and Week 4: meet outside the Guildhall on the Market Square, and then depart in a different direction for each tour;
- Week 5: the group decide which area of the Victorian expansion of Cambridge that we examine, from Mill Road, the Kite or New Town. We will meet at a prominent place in the selected location;
- Week 6: starting from the Guildhall and covering a third area of the city, ending up at the Museum of Cambridge
The sessions will run weekly on Thursdays from 28th February until 4th April 2019.
The first session will run 11.45-13.15. Thereafter the sessions will run 11.00-13.00. Please note the different start and end points for each weekly session.
Photograph of the Ward painting by Ann Miles.